MONITORING, EVALUATING & COORDINATING SME GROWTH IN MALAYSIA
In 2009, SME Corporation Malaysia (SME Corp. Malaysia) was appointed as the Central Coordinating Agency (CCA) for the overall development of SMEs in Malaysia. As the CCA, SME Corp. Malaysia is tasked to explore and enhance the smooth facilitation and data collation of SME development programmes.
Acting in this capacity, SME Corp. Malaysia coordinates, streamlines, monitors and evaluates the progress and effectiveness of SME development programmes implemented by 15 Ministries and more than 60 Agencies (M&As) each year. This information, gleaned from the M&As, is then published as an annual SME Integrated Plan of Action (SMEIPA). This report had its debut as the SME Development Blueprint (2006-2008) prior to SME Corp. Malaysia being mandated as the CCA.
In essence, SMEIPA was designed to function as an integral and comprehensive document from which M&As derive relevant information to:
• drive enhancements and efficiency;
• optimise fund allocations;
• enhance collaboration and reduce duplication;
• strategise policy planning;
• map out future developmental programmes;
• drive greater inter-Ministerial and Agency synergies; and
• identify and reduce duplication of resources.
Key strategic committees have been formed to pool together the knowledge, expertise and talent of high ranking and experienced strategists to help steer the SME growth in Malaysia. These committees in order of ranking are:
• The National SME Development Council (NSDC); and
• The High Level Taskforce for SME Development (HLTF).